23 March 2010

Setting up continues

At home, a final tryout of the lighting and a little wishful thinking - there is so much to set up and there will be so little time on the final day -In daylight, my space is too bright - but the skylights have shutters and hopefully there's a way of getting at the switch, which is behind the screens -
Another factor in Room 308 is all the marks on the floor, which were for positioning easels in some class or other, extended still-life painting perhaps - they'll take a while to scrub off. But if visitors to the show are looking at the floor, rather than the art, that would be unfortunate indeed ...

In another room (there are 6 rooms on 3 floors) the boards are ready for taping, and some lengths of tape are precut to length, roughly -
Once 308 was taped, the finished work was moved there for safe keeping. Near the end of the day, it was moved to a painted room and we could start painting these spaces. For me this was a very tense time - unless my space was painted that day, I wouldn't have enough time to set up the next day.
In fact we'd just started painting it when we were told From On High, "Everyone stop painting now, pack up, clean the brushes, we all want to go home" - but as the queue to wash brushes at the one sink was loooong, we just kept painting and much to my relief the space got done, in fact the whole room was done at the end of the day. That was definitely the low point for me - earlier I'd found that my board had warped because I'd put pva glue on only the edges on the back - so I painted the back and put a weight on and hoped it would unwarp itself by morning. The abrupt instruction, and being shouted at, was the last straw. But with the help of my friends it was got through.

On the way out the door I discovered my strange ceramic structures in the vitrine -
So - another day survived, and the exhibition is "nearly" ready to roll. There's certainly a lot involved in the setting up, even when a group cooperates and works as hard as we are doing.

No comments: