03 May 2007

"Sacred" exhibition

This exhibition at the British Library is jam-packed with gorgeous illuminated manuscripts. As you enter you see a cloth "tent" inside which are examples of the sacred texts of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, the religions that have shaped so much of European history and civilisation. Ever-changing images from various manuscripts are projected onto the fabric of the tent. The rest of the exhibition consists of some of the finest manuscripts ever produced by these religions, and there are non-book objects as well. Here, from the glossy exhibition guide, are some examples of the richness within the texts.
The birds from the Ethiopian manuscript below recur throughout the exhibition. There's a large "turning the pages" screen that allows you to leaf through several books, and zoom in to details. This can also be done on line.
The exhibition is on till 23 September, admission is free, and the BL is open till 8 on Tuesdays. Textile lovers shouldn't miss the silver and gilt embroidered curtain of the Ka'bah door, made in 1858 - hard to miss because it's rather large. (The label says "woven" but it sure does looks like embroidery - why are textile terms so badly understood?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the info on this. Am coming home for a trip late in the summer - and have already penciled this into my diary as a must see. How I love manuscripts - it all reads and sounds just facinating. Thank you again....

Sonji Hunt said...

I checked out your blog after reading your comment about textiles vs painting/fine art on the Quilt Art group. I totally agree with you. I think that fabric artists should be proud of their work for what it is and not equate it so directly to other mediums for its importance. I am schooled as a painter, but didn't find my bliss of creation until I started making constructions from fabric. I do paint my own fabric, but don't approach it the same way as a painting. Quilts and tapestries and fabric art are something a bit closer to our everyday humanity, I think.

As for your very nice blog...I adore the pics of your dotted quilts. They are funky and fun. And thank you for all of your insight.

Tricia Revest said...

I went today and it was great. Got into some interesting chats with other visitors. I was with Alan and a couple of times asked him a question and had it answered by someone from that faith standing next to us.