13 June 2007

"Green Knowe"

The Manor, Hemingford Grey, was the home of Lucy M Boston, author of the "Green Knowe" books, which are set in the house.
The house is said to be the oldest continuously inhabited house in England. It was built in 1130 and added to and altered over the years.
The gardens are delightful, and are open daily.
It's foxglove season; scented roses abound, and we liked the california poppies. And all the other flowers!
The topiary was planted by Lucy Boston when she moved in, in 1939. There are crowns and a dove of peace lining the path to the river. In a side garden, she made a chess set.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved the books - and seeing the gardens just brings back happy memories!!!

Leanne Hurren said...

I live only 20 minutes from here Margaret but have never been or read the books! You've reminded me that I should!

RHONDA said...

Oh, Margaret! What great memories you've just evoked. I visited Hemingford Grey in January 2000, taken by a quilting friend that I was staying with. I was lucky enough to have a private viewing of Lucy Boston's quilts, which are just wonderful - she had such an eye for design.
The garden looks very different to my winter-time photos, though. I remember the house as being freezing, and the friend joked that, not only is it the oldest house in Britain...it's also the coldest! No wonder Lucy made quilts on winter evenings. This Aussie girl would have needed a very large pile of quilts over me to sit there for any length of time.