20 May 2008

A conversation of kettles

From thumbnail sketch -To an 8"x8" collage of pieces of iron-on interfacing. The silk I planned to use was too floppy, and by using the interfacing for the finished shapes, the edges could be ironed under -If you're using this method, remember to cut the templates with the iron-on side face up - otherwise you'll end up with your picture reversed.

OK, here all the pieces have their raw edges ironed under - and to get the pointy bits to behave, I lashed the seams across the template underneath - no stitching showing (in this silk, extra stitching might leave holes). The handle on the left is printed velvet and on the right, some polyester damask -The next photos show the kettles sewn down and padded, ready to quilt. I suspect the vast expanse of copper kettle might need a scattering of interesting stitches (after all, the original is battered and scratched, and there's even a hole near the top - we use it on the narrowboat).

My first idea was to mount this piece on a ready-stretched deep canvas, but maybe a border is a better idea. So, which one??

A: B:
C:
D:
- or something else? This is the decision point at which things start to morph into UFOs...

14 comments:

magsramsay said...

I like the 3rd version with the different b&w borders - makes the kettle colour sing ( sorry couldn't resist the pun!)

Tonya Ricucci said...

I hope this doesn't end up as a UFO - it's lovely. I like the first version best. maybe skinnier borders though? these seem to be overwhelming the little center.

Mai-Britt Axelsen said...

I'm with Margaret here. C would be my choice, use the frame as a frame and leave the colours for the focus.

RHONDA said...

I think A. To me it reinforces thoughts of home and grandmothers, and comfortable, warm, welcoming kitchens. It suits the kettles.

Vivian said...

My choice is the 'C' option. The white and black gives importance the the copper kettle. I would also suggest binding rather than boarders. It will give 'zing' without overpowering.

Jill said...

A. - It gives it a happy, homey feeling.

Kay Taylor West said...

I agree with option 'C'. The darker fabric at the bottom gives it more weight and grounds the design. I also agree with the other comments about making the borders more narrow or just use a wide binding instead. It's a great little piece so I do hope you finish it. It has such personality!

Anne Wigfull said...

Definitely C for me, but I wonder how it would look with the stripes at the top?

Pascale said...

I love your C option, go for it.

West Country Buddha said...

I prefer either of the ones with the orange on the left hand side. I think it echoes one of the kettles.

Unknown said...

I like B, but I would put the lower fabric on top, and vice versa, also would put the black and white near the copper and the plaid near the other :-) but that's me..lol

Carol E. said...

I love C the best.

Cher said...

well...I like D. so there is another answer thrown in. I agree with Tonya, narrower borders would help.
what a fun project, hope you do not allow it to languish too long.

Sandra Wyman said...

Love the shapes - like C best for the reasons Mags and others have mentioned. Look forward to seeing this finished!