10 November 2009

Ceramics week 7

This is what went into the kiln, to be fired to stoneware -
and this is what came out - the largest dimension might be 16cm -Some of my favourites - the tin glaze makes a nice caramel edge -
This slab was rolled out on a textured cloth, dark glaze (tenmoku I think) brushed on and sponged off, then applied to the textured side, and the slab rolled up a bit -
More dabbing on of glaze and sponging off - with transparent glaze on top of it all -
Pinch pots with different clays inside and out, the one on the left painted inside with tin glaze; the one on the right had the bottom dipped and some glaze dribbled -
I was aiming to make textures on slabs and by chance discovered that you could print with the wet clay, if only onto the bench -
So, why not paint the slab with slip, and print with that -- and then roll it out a bit more to distort it slightly -
This biscuit-fired bowl got slip painted on and then sponged off -
Another aim was to make some holes -
Here's what's going for biscuit firing - plain and using black slip -
The glossy snakey bits got discarded. The pinch pots have velvet black glaze and are going into the stoneware kiln.

3 comments:

The WestCountryBuddha said...

Have you considered a ceramic book? Lots of thin pages, glazed and decorated and things buried....wow, what fun that would be!!

Cate Rose said...

I just LOVE your ceramics, Margaret. Right out of the kiln and they look anthropological! Great textures, great glazes. I want them all!

Jane LaFazio said...

Hello Margaret!! I read your post on the SAQA list and it was perfect syncronicity. My husband and I are starting (as students) a 6 week handbuilding clay class tomorrow! I'm done it before, but it was quite a few years ago so I'm TOTALLY inspired by what you're doing! thanks sooo much,
And now I'll take photos before and after too.