30 September 2018

Books - read, started, acquired in September

Rather than losing track of what I've been reading, or have lying around the house "somewhere" with intent to finish reading it, or have taken back to the library, the plan is to photograph the covers when books enter the premises, and perhaps write a note or two about them.
"Made in England" is fascinating - written in 1939, a record of a bygone age.
The others were found on the "2 for £1" table at my local charity shop: trees and
butterflies for the reference shelf. I've wanted and needed a tree book.
Nora Ephron's introduction to Heartburn, written years after the novel, is brilliant, the novel less so.

Repays slow reading. Lots of lovely images. My current breakfast book.

Of the crime fiction, Ian Sansom's grew on me, and Donna Leon is consistently good.
The language history is trying to do too much in a small book. Haven't read much of Silt Road.

Who knew sheep were so fascinating? I'm loving it.
Ed Yong's talk about bacteria (at RI) was SO good; haven't started reading it.
Micromastery is an interesting idea, and I've tried mastering the omelette,
but feel my "old" way is better....
Stephen Fry - "poignant, funny, intellegent, frank" and only 50p, why not?

4 comments:

irene macwilliam said...

no idea how you manage to fit the reading and book perusal into your busy life, full of admiration.

Unknown said...

I contain Multitudes is one of those eye-opening books that introduce the reader to a 'new' world. I found it fascinating. Enjoy! Sally

Charlton Stitcher said...

What a great selection of books. My eye is especially drawn to the David Hockney and Martin Gayford book as I so enjoyed their collaboration and conversations recorded in 'A Bigger Message' some time ago. One for my list, I think.

Kathleen Loomis said...

Since you have been fascinated by sheep, have you read "The Shepherd's Life by James Rebanks? I could have cared less about sheep, I thought, but this one was wonderful -- total immersion into a world I had known nothing about.