04 March 2020

Woodblock Wednesday - unexpected colours

Earlier in the week I had a go at printing The Jugs, to see whether the registration was all that bad. Hmm, it's not all that good, but it'll do for now -
 The one without the background -
 And both, with their intended colour swatches, which don't always turn out as planned!
Blocks for the outline, and the background. I probably won't use the beaky-shapes at all, too much fuss....
Printing on the workbench in my home studio -

At class today, I wanted to try a non-blue colour and the first step was to try to remove the blue - printing without inking gives "ghost prints" -
 Even so, the "rose madder" became more purple than I wanted -
 So, why not overprint and make it really purple? -
 Another, without key block and with a paler background (but still quite purple) -
All today's prints -
 ... with the watercolour swatches, for the record -
 The block -
 A quick look at what everyone is working on -

And how nice of Elizabeth to bring in some "irritable cough tea" to help drive away the last vestiges of my irritating cough -
Mullein, mallow, coltsfoot, comfrey - 1 tsp in
boiling water; take 3x a day

No comments: