22 September 2020

Drawing Tuesday - cat's eye view

What do cats, low to the ground (or wherever else they get to) actually see? Some have hiding places in boxes etc ... some like to be high up, tops of wardrobes etc ...

According to this article, their visual fields are a bit broader than ours, and they don't see as sharply as we do. " the things humans can sharply resolve at distances of 100-200 feet look blurry to cats, which can see these objects at distances of up to 20 feet." But in dim light they can see much better than we do. And they see colours differently from us - the equivalent of being red-green colour blind. 


Further research on the topic reveals that there's now a Pets Eye View Camera....

And I'm delighted to share this little video of cat's-eye-view photography - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-13286470



From Janet BThe view through the cat flap.....
                          

From Sylvia - Here is my attempt at a cat's eye view (from a photo)


From Hazel - "Weetie's (my cat) Midnight Garden". Drawn with charcoal and then made into a negative image using my 'effects' option.


From Joyce - A cat’s eye view of a squirrel eating sunflower seeds on our patio.
I thought I would look at the wide angle view a cat sees and the muted greys, an interesting challenge today! 


From Judith - Playing with Procreate, takes ages, much quicker to sketch!



From Mags - On Sunday ' Doodie-Pie' the stray cat that has adopted next door, was dozing under our potting bench and when disturbed took up position by the fence underneath their bird table. She's got too portly to catch anything and its a bit of an effort to launch herself. (Watercolours on watercolour paper)



From Ann - Here's a cat's eye view. I found this looking up cats' views and loved the cat so here it is in coloured pencils.


From Sue S - Liked the block shapes. Not even a cat’s ear in sight! Soluble graphite & caran d’ache


From Gill - A dull view from lying on my rug pretending to be a cat. Even held my pencil as if in my right front paw.


From me - "Cat's eye view through the long grass, with moonrise". Graphite (=pencil). 

When I finally got started I realised there was a good reason for procrastinating - I had the idea of what should appear on the page, but no idea where or how to start. Thank heaven for the technological breakthrough called The Eraser, and for "visual reference" (=photographs). 





No comments: