26 January 2021

Drawing Tuesday - a long road

When I googled "a long road", this is what came up first in the list. So I had a listen, and a look. The winding scenery backing the singing becomes frenetic freeway footage. 

The version of the song from the Rambo soundtrack has this "into the sunset" shot at the start  -

But that "long road" is the literal interpretation. Other "long roads" might include evolution (the detours etc involved in natural selection, for instance), literacy (that entire process of learning to read), buying a house (with its many setbacks), migration.

The photo above shows a long straight road - there's also the "long and winding road" as in the 60s/70s song that plays in my head ... oh crikey, its by the Beatles and I've remembered the words all wrong! 

Phrases that include "long road" - the long road to freedom, a long road ahead, it's a long road that has no turning. Do those bring any peripheral subjects for drawing into view?

Here are 25 long road quotes -  quite a few from Nelson Mandela. My favourite is by Bai Juyi, a 9th century Chinese poet: "Fumes of wine shorten the long road." Those Chinese poets, 1200 years ago, liked their wine.

If you're looking for something more imaginative ... fairy tales often contain "long roads" as the youngest son (usually) sets out on his heroic quest and miscellaneous encounters. 



From Judith - Quick effort with unsurprising subject!


From Sue B - the crinkly wall in suffolk…done last year


From Richard - Still a lot to learn with the paints but went for graphic doodling this time. Spot the joke.


From Sue K - Decided on a collage based on Ravilious watercolour of Beachy Head. Collage with pastel rubbing.


From Mags - I took the prompt rather literally and recorded my regular walk down ' Abbeyfields' . I've recently discovered ' What3words' and 'MapMyWalk' apps and taking occasional photos of the road, I held my pen loosely over a narrow cutdown A5 landscape sketchbook , tracking my steps , wrote some of the 'what3words' locations ( and made up some of my own!) . It took longer scanning the sketches and combining them in Photoshop than it did to do the walk !




From Gill - This is the yellow brick road left to return to nature.
I wanted to remind myself than spring is coming along with sunny days in the future.


From Janet K - Light at the end of the tunnel?


From Joyce - Here’s my contribution to today’s topic, at the end of the long road, there’s light at the end of the tunnel. Printed on my new toy, a Gelli plate.


From Ann - A collage...
A metaphor for life's journey.


From Jackie - apologies to Hobbema….I copied this whilst watching
Jo Biden’s inauguration..a long road ahead for him too...


The Avenue at Middelharnis is a Dutch Golden Age 
painting of 1689 by Meindert Hobbema,
 now in the National Gallery.

From me - Some scraps happened to be lying on my table, and you know how it is, you start arranging them ... and a story emerges ... the result being an abstract/imaginative scene based loosely on Scandinavian and Inuit folk/fairy tales, which often have an animal as a central character. 

My "instructions to myself" were to use every scrap. After a dozen rearrangements and cutting off one little corner, I chose one of the earliest versions as the best one.

Later, as the bits were still lying on the table (though some had shifted), I took a rubbing, then augmented it with pencil here and there - 


And Carol reportsI have gone off brief this week so no drawing about a long road. Instead I'm preparing art boxes to send to my 4 yr old grandson to help with home schooling. I'm doing around 2 a week, latest one below is a little theatre to make using the box for posting as well. Tiny curtains all included.


No comments: