11 January 2022

Drawing Tuesday - "open a book..."

 The idea is that you open a book, any book, and point to a word, then use the word - or the sentence or any word in it - as a starting point. 


If the first sentence doesn't inspire, you get two more tries, in that book or another. 


From Janet B - I wasn’t expecting a biography of Philip Larkin by Andrew Motion to come up with a pantomime horse but it did and I’m so glad it did. What a joyously silly way to start the new year. 



From Carol - My second attempt was “a balancing boulder” so here is one in Digby Canada known as Nature’s time post.



From Sue K -  from ‘The Inheritors’ by William Golding. The phrase was ‘cupped his hands’. Decided to have a waterfall into the ‘cup’.



From Mags - Sorting through  my threads  and my art materials,  my word  from  a book had to be ' Entangled'  !   My current read is Robert MacFarlene's ' Underland'  ; the chapter  on the 'Understorey'  led me to purchase my next  book ' Entangled  Life'   by  Merlin Sheldrake  on fungi.  I had great fun useing  a picture from my 'Greek Mythology'  book with lots of different pens, pencils and crayons. 



From Gill - I’m currently making a small book of collages so here it is open.



From Janet K - I opened Patch Work - A Life Amongst Clothes by Claire Wilcox to the section headed 'Lustre'. Went through my stuff and ate a few of the chocolate coins from my Christmas stocking for shiny things.


From Ann - Haiku...

Leaves lined with rime frost
on a cold winter morning
awaiting the sun...

'Leaves' was first word



From Najlaa - The word is Birch.

This poem is from a book  nature poem of every day of the year.
Birch Trees
The night is white
The moon is high
The birch trees lean
Against the sky



From Joyce - From “Where the Crawdads sing”, page 145, line 8, heart.

Here’s a drawing of a heart showing the circulatory system,  from the internet.
Courtesy of Bryan Brandenburg.



From Jo - I intended to ditch this one, and do something sensible, but couldn't get the idea out of my head. It was a 1940s/50s Blue Guide to London. I opened it at a description of exhibits in the British Museum. It said "In Case A, Mummy of a man of the prehistoric period (c. 7000 B.C.)". I drew the man and his mummy!




From Judith - From the children’s book ‘The Legend of Bolster’  my word was ‘mess’. I didn’t have to look far.



From me - "Rubber" from "A History of Southeast Asia", the chapter on the spread of rubber plantations...


 

No comments: