10 August 2007

Stash downsizing

Even though I've been back in the UK for all of 12 hours, and even though I've done no sewing for three weeks, I haven't yet set foot in the workroom. Anne's question on BQL about how to go about downsizing the stash has made me realise that my stash has reached the right size -- it supplies just about all the fabric I need for any idea I might have. (Is that because knowing what's there sets limits for the ideas I have?)

Also the art materials on hand are sufficient that new stuff isn't constantly needed. Yet there are some that never get used -- is this a call for getting rid of those, or for trying to use them more?

Back to the fabric -- it ranges from dressmaking lengths, kept in trunks and drawers in other rooms, and under beds, to bags of really quite small scraps. I'm reluctant to throw anything out because the oddest things spark off the really stretching ideas, or are just what's needed now and then. Coming across these odd things, or seeing them next to something unexpected -- those are the glorious moments of impetus.

And if there's an unexpected group project, the stash will usually yield enough to get started. Here's what turned up when I needed "rich autumn colours" - they obviously won't be used in these proportions, to get a real autumnal feel.

Trawling through the stash for projects like this seems to turn up so many forgotten things - it's like having new fabric. Recently I found a lot of silk blouses, just needing cutting up, in all sorts of gorgeous colours -- when fashion changed and people were getting rid of their "big shirts" the charity shops were good sources. Recycling is good, yes? So instead of buying fat quarters I focus on thread, including embroidery thread, and on the tools that make the making easier.

For serious downsizing, though, when the day comes that I simply must do it, the only way will be to take everything out of the room and put back only what I want to keep, and be ruthless with the rest. Living out of a suitcase gets you thinking about the simple life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree about stashes but a great way to shift some is to offer bags of your stuff to other users in a challenge to create something ! I for one love being sent other people 'rubbish' and told to create something - I've done it many times with friends! lv ANna