04 September 2007

Very narrow binding

This very narrow binding

is done with organza round a journal quilt (more of which another time, perhaps):

My method doesn't fit any quilt-police criteria - it doesn't use bias strips, it doesn't have mitred corners. But it's quick enough and easy enough and (I hope) neat enough.

First I pinned a sheet of A4 paper over my quilted piece, which started out a bit bigger than A4, then sewed round the edge of the paper. Took the paper off and sewed round again, just (1/8 inch?) inside the first line, then trimmed the quilt on the first sewing line. (A narrow zigzag round the edge at this stage might be helpful.)

The organza was just over an inch wide, folded so there was more in one "half" of the strip. It would probably help to press it. I laid the folded edge along the trimmed edge (rough edges towards the middle of the quilt, extra width underneath) and sewed very close (1/8 inch?) to the fold (and edge), ie on top of the stitching that was already there. Any of that stitching that shows can be unpicked. I did the long sides first, and folded the ends of the long sides to the back before I applied the top and bottom binding strips. The top and bottom strips had a bit sticking out at the ends, and when folding those ends back, I tucked them in diagonally in an approximation of a mitre. Then I pin-basted the turned binding and machined in the ditch, leaving the raw edges at the back.

This is from another piece and reveals, shockingly, that I tore (not cut) the organza. For a very tidy back, turn the edge (of just one layer of the organza) under and hand sew it. Or, add a false backing, turned under and handsewn over the frazzled edges of the binding.

2 comments:

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

I love this journal quilt and thanks for the tutorial,
Sally

katepang said...

Delighted to have found your blog! I am really interested in this method, and will be trying it (soon!). Perhaps organza ribbon would be good (no raw edges).

I mustn't start anything new though (see my blog for details katesqblog.blogspot.com !).