07 May 2009

Quilting with tinfoil

If you run out of sweet wrappers, try tinfoil. Layer up the backing, wadding, tinfoil (matte side up), your "inclusions", and a sheer layer (this is part of a nylon headscarf from the thrift shop). The sheer layer keeps the foil from shattering under the needle. I made loopy petals - and when another petal got in the way, just followed over the stitching - but simply overlapping petals could give a good effect, too.

Here they are, two kinds of loops - this took minutes rather than hours.
Then I took the thread out of the needle and added some texture in the background.
It was so much fun, I did another right away. The binding here is 10mm ribbon - too narrow, very tricky! If you're using ribbon (a metre and a quarter will go round an A4 size), get 15mm.

2 comments:

Sharne Gregory said...

It looks stunnung. I have never tried tin foil, I will have a play in my summer hols.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Fabulous and inspired! Really like the quilting.