30 July 2009

Filling a sketchbook

First make your sketchbook! As the homework is on the theme of "collections", mine draws, first of all, on my book collection - that is, books I've made over the years. (I'd more or less forgotten about these - pulling their box out of the cupboard and looking through was a trip down memory lane!)

This accordion sketchbook has a removable spine, held in place by the way the decorative papers are wrapped around the cover -
You can take the spine out, to work on the entire length of paper --
But the removable spine wasn't going to work with the flexible, adaptable structure I'd chosen for my new "collections" book, so the cover is fastened to the ends of the accordion spine, and I'll have to find some other way of holding the book together in transit. If it ever leaves the studio.
The cover, by the way, is a laminated train timetable I found in the waste bin on the station. It seems a bit heavy-duty for a book that's not going out into wild weather, so I'll change it when another exciting possibility comes along.

The sections (also recycled, from "leftover" paper from various classes) are sewn into some of the folds - other folds are waiting to have loose sheets and exciting fold-outs glued in. I'm thinking of doing collages, or at least gluing lots of things in, and that can make a closely-bound book very bulky and hard to close. Hence the flexible spine.
It only remains to get going on this, to fill the book... I'm collecting "imagined interiors".
Finding those three pictures on the same day is what started me off. I was going through magazines (Art Quarterly, Kew Magazine among them) tearing out the "striking" photos - and couldn't pass by these. You know how it is when there's "just something about it" - maybe later you find out what that "something" is....

(From the homework brief: "So what interests you about your collection? What does it say about you and what do you want to say about it?")

No comments: