03 October 2018

Woodblock Wednesday

Back to Morley last week for another swathe of Japanese Woodblock Printing classes. From months of inactivity I know that the only way I'll do any woodblock printing is to be in a class. 

First, find a new design - why not use the "zen circles"?

A sheet of circles hastily drawn with the dropper of the ink bottle - then blotted with a bit of chinese paper, yielded some tracings -
Too complicated and laborious!

These have a nice regularity -
 Something larger, for ease of cutting? -
 No, the way one circle falls off the wood doesn't work.

It was suggested that larger circles would make a good contrast, so the hunt was on...
 I've gone with the large, fat ones -
 The class at work -
Lime green with royal blue ... might have to use that combination when the printing starts...

Before that, some cutting, and before that, sharpening the tools.

1 comment:

patty a. said...

For carving I can understand the choice of the large fat circles. I like you choice of lime green and royal blue. I will check back on Monday to see what you printed.