06 May 2019

Photos of the week

You know that polite question, "What have you been up to lately?" ... it's meant to keep the conversation going but it stops me in my tracks every time. Maybe my fallback answer is "Lots of pleasant and interesting things - interesting to me, at least" - no, that's a bit snarky. Better to deflect it with a generic "well, I've seen a few exhibitions - what have you seen recently?"

Fortunately my phone camera is cooperating again - I use it as a notebook...

Monday (29 April) - Mary Quant show at V&A (till 16 Feb 2020) - who knew there would be dolls? 


 followed by a walk through Kensington and lots of wisteria
to Japan House for a talk relating to the Living Colours exhibition (till 19 May)


Tuesday 30 April - After drawing at the RAF museum, home to some peaceful afternoon sunshine -
and a walk over the hill to see the grandbaby, with another look at the tree peonies on Mountview Road -
and the surprise find of a cheval mirror left "on the wall" - it had to come home with me, I've been wanting a different view of my feet, not to mention it's great for faux-ironing of linen shirts (spray the crumpled bits with water, tug into smoothness, leave to dry) -
Wednesday 1 May - after the woodblock printing class, I wandered down Kennington Road (the A23), an area new to me -



Library!



Thursday 2 May - Hampstead Heath and Kenwood, with the azaleas and the magical Handkerchief Tree -

 its fallen firework blossoms -
 and views over the city, as the clouds moved in ...
Another chance to spend time with the grandbaby and her parents (tall parents, long baby!) -
before going to the British Library for a talk on the new Writing exhibition (till 27 August) -
taking the long way home from the tube station, past the tower going up up up...
and trying on recent purchases from charity shops, including this skirt, which I bought for the banana fabric rather than to wear -

Friday 3 May - "going for coffee" locally turned into lunch -
After which, it was "over the hill" again. The baby doesn't much care for Tummy Time but she does like looking at high-contrast things -
In the evening, a great talk at the BL about alphabet books - and yes, I couldn't resist his book about the alphabet, which is divided into chapters arranged in alphabetic order -

Saturday 4 May - an early(ish) excursion to Waitrose for a few groceries and a chance to sit with the "free" coffee and read the "free" newspaper - nice to run into an old friend and chat
Morning light on Crouch Hill
Later, back "over the hill" for a bit of gardening


Sunday 5 May - quick trip to the RA to see The Renaissance Nude (till 2 June)
The Temptation of St Anthony, c1520 (attrib to Jan Wellens de Cock)
which included a sparsely-arrowed (and "notably sensual") St Sebastian -
by Bronzino, c1533
Elsewhere in the building, a small exhibition of works on paper by Mali Morris (till 4 August), through which I find yet more ideas for woodblock printing -

 Walking towards home through Regent's Park, with chestnuts in full bloom -
 and some lovely motorbikes parked up on Camden Parkway -


And today, as the invasion of ants continues, I tried to disrupt their trails by masking them with the chemical scents of proprietary cleaners, but it seems cider vinegar is the weapon of choice -
Ready for wiping down

Ready for everyday living
How to keep them away?  Keep ALL traces for food cleaned up.....

Clean your kitchen after each meal. Ants usually only enter your home if there’s a food source there. Unfortunately, even a small amount of food can draw ants. You need to keep all traces of food cleaned up to keep the ants away.[18]
  • Don’t allow dirty dishes to sit in the sink. Wash them daily or after every meal, for best results.
  • Spray down and wipe counters using soapy water, an all-purpose cleaner, or a solution of 1 part apple cider vinegar and 1 part water.
  • Sweep and mop the kitchen daily to remove crumbs that could attract ants.
  • If your family eats in other areas of your home, you should sweep or vacuum those areas daily.

So it's true that ants are an indicator of imperfect housework!

2 comments:

patty a. said...

I really enjoyed all the pictures! You always seem to find interesting places to visit. Now your rules for the ants. I think I have broken every one of those! I need to get my act together before I end up with an ant invasion! I will go home after work and wash my dishes! One thing that may help is if you put a line of pepper at your doorways it will keep the ants from coming in. Ants won't cross the line of pepper. My biggest insect issue right now is some kind of flying bee like thing. I have had to dispose of two in the last couple of days. I have no idea how they are getting into the house.

Jinnie said...

I always enjoy your photos , 'Drawing Tuesday' and your woodblock printing experiments. We have an ant problem too. Every year they make a beeline (perhaps that should be an antline?!) for my daughter's bedroom, where there is never any food. Last year it was a mega invasion, and we discovered them scurrying up and down the outside wall of the house. When we put stuff down to get rid of them in the bedroom and on the wall, the ants became frantic, and started carrying down larvae: they seemed to have established a nest somewhere up there. So far we've had a few stray ants this year, but nothing like last year's invasion.