09 June 2020

Drawing Tuesday - jewellery / treasures

While messing around in search of the next woodblock-print idea, a couple of days ago, I painted some "cave mouths" (bottom row) -
 ​

and moved on to similar things (top row), and the last one (duplicated top left) led to something else -- page after page of "gemstones" in my A6 notebook -


Years ago, in a textiles course, I did a collage incorporating "jewels" - the red rectangles in middle of left-hand page are enlargements, done in pastel - aiming to get the reflective qualities of the facets, and the strange depths -
It was thought-provoking to revisit that fascination with facets, which dates back to 1993, and to see how it has now become an abstraction.


From Jo - Brooch - Danish 1960s.


From Carol - So lovely to do something in detail which would be almost impossible in a museum, and so much choice.
A Victorian bracelet, silver wire, enamel with a small cameo. Given to my Mum in her teens by an elderly neighbour for ‘her kindness’. Old but of no particular value except to me.  I do wear it sometimes, it is a beautiful little thing and reminds me of the better qualities of my Mum.

From Judith - Playing with Procreate,

a necklace made from horse shoe nails
and a very quick watercolour.

From Najlaa - I kept this picture of the necklace in my inspiration folder to do something with fabric. I like the idea and hope to do it one day.


From Sue - Here’s my sketch of a variety of my ethnic necklaces on tailor’s dummy. Must wear them more often when dressing up when we’re allowed out to ‘party’!

From Janet B - Two necklaces chosen purely for their colouring-in potential. 


From Richard - Oh dear, precious to me but possibly grounds for divorce, and Sue will very definitely want to go to the hairdresser now.

From Janet K - My favourite necklaces. watercolour, coloured pencils and a bit of gouache


From Mags - Took me ages to select which of my hundreds of earrings to draw, I've been wearing a different pair each day in lockdown ! I mostly wear dichroic glass ones  so it was good to rediscover those bought on my travels and at craft/ designer shows.


From Ann - These are brooches and items of jewellery that I consider treasures too! The watercolour and coloured pencils brooch is a treasure of my mother's and the pencil drawing of an art nouveau silver brooch... a gift from my husband many years ago! Enjoyable in many ways to look back and reflect on.


From Jackie - difficult to choose which treasure/jewellery to draw... but found this unexpectedly ... a sliver charm bracelet which was a present from my parents.
 I added charms which I collected as souvenirs from holidays in the 50’s ... 
a strange motley collection of 'charms'… it was a treasure to me and I loved wearing it!

From Gill - This is my very heavy marble jewellery bowl.
It felt quite nostalgic drawing pieces I usually wear when I go tango dancing. Can’t see me wearing any of this for quite a while!



No comments: