16 June 2020

Drawing Tuesday - tools of the trade

The porcelain palette has given me so much pleasure, seeing the colours laid out against the whiteness and feeling its smoothness and stability (it's rather solid). For the drawing, I used the colours that were in the wells, and liked the self-reflexivity of that!  It didn't seem like a good idea to use watercolour for drawing the brushes, and in fact it was a relief to get back to straightforward pencil (and eraser).


From Jo - I was demolishing a cotoneaster which had grown to 8 feet plus and then just died. These were the tools (at different scales) -


From CarolI had so much fun with today’s topic that I actually used A4 paper! It was so good to get out these little characters and think about when I last used them and for what event and that at one time they were regular ‘tools of my trade’. Now only Sally comes out with me and helps with the difficult questions with Reception children. She has a bell inside her which jangles when she is happy.

Puppets Left to right:-
Basil – the Newshound
Todd – the donkey
Charlie the Parrot who likes jokes and Neville the Dragon – both phonic wizards
Sally – the rather forgetful and menopausal sheep
Joey- the sandwich chef tortoise
Sabastian the snail -  a superhero postman
Bip and Bop – vegetarian alien shipmates.


From Janet K -  A few tools in my collection.


From SueA selection of Tools for my upholstery projects - which have been few of late! Here’s my sketch, in pastel.
Hammered home! 


From JoyceHere are my scissors, in charcoal, inspired by the rather sinister lithographs by Jim Dine.


From RichardGarden tools, mostly passed down from my father’s mother, I think, so beautifully made and a treat to use. Watercolour with some caran d’ache.



From JudithTools are such lovely shapes. Memories of CityLit Drawing 2!


From NajlaaFrom my collections of scissors and I am sure I have more



From Ann - My inspiration for "tools" - the ever handy brushes and pencil pot! I enjoyed the elegant shapes of the brushes and pencil.  
The other two images are quick sketches of pen and ink and watercolour sketches of the window ledge in my room.  




From Janet B - I only had time for two 15 minute sketches this morning: my left hand drawn by my right hand and vice versa.



From Mags - a quick sketch of some of my sewing tools ( definitely not to scale ! ) Just noticed that many of them are Japanese  although the humbug pincushion was my  mums and the needlecase a gift for shepherding an elderly couple through Paris . 


From JackieA beautiful old hand powered sewing machine.. This has made curtains and a variety of things including recently  a couple of face masks
and more to come! 


From Gill A very rough drawing. My excuse is that I wanted to be free!





No comments: