04 August 2020

Drawing Tuesday - collage

I got bogged down in the research for this topic - instagram is full of collage images! Also I started looking analytically at the collages I'd made in the past, distant and recent - what would I do differently now, why does this particular one and not that other one get my attention, what's the problem with the composition in this one or the colour in that one, etc etc. 

And then "something came up" on the Tuesday, so I'll post a few of the old items I examined, just for the record.

Page from a book that hasn't been sewn, 2015

Typography (and tracings)

My favourites from a daily-postcard project during a time of long hours at work, in the 2000s; doing a little art every morning kept me sane

Some of the other fabric collages - not brilliant, but it's all about process

Instant photocollage, moving scraps around on my work surface

A favourite, cut through the pages of a magazine, 2012 maybe



From Carol -  these I did on a camping holiday using things around from the heathland – it was always a pleasure to slow down and appreciate the nature around.




From Najlaa -  here is my yellow collage.


From Janet K - a collage from some time ago. Happy memories of the cottage we rent every few years on Lake Mississippi in Ontario

From Joyce - Collage reminds me of Lee Krasner’s exhibition last year at the Barbican. I looked at the photos I had taken and some reminded me of the forest of Sunflowers we have in the garden that my husband planted from seed, they’re taking over! So I made a few sketches and then created this from various papers and card I have collected over the years

From Sue M -   works in progress



From Sylvia - three little collages from today



From Mags -   I had constructed textured backgrounds for painting from torn pages of 'Metro' with white acrylic over the top ( https://magsramsay.blogspot.com/2017/11/contemporary-painting-studio-week-7.html).
I still have some of the prepared surfaces so when I was invited to submit a map for LivingMaps project ' Dreaming a Post-Covid World' (https://www.livingmaps.org/mapping-the-pandemic) I used one of these with with collaged and deconstructed photos of my bike , altered in Photoshop

From Hazel - my collage is made from photocopies of my drawings - old and new. I enjoyed using torn edges against cut edges to make my image.

From Sue S - here’s my collage of colourful trimmings after a rustle in my coloured papers. Might work it into a formal piece . . .

From Judith - Some figures from life drawings and then a portrait. I have in the past wondered about trying a portrait using newspaper. Never again! I wanted someone very recognisable so apologies for that!


From Janet B - What’s with the teapot? No don’t even try to answer. 


No comments: