11 August 2020

Drawing Tuesday - crumpled paper (or fabric)

It's always helpful to do a little "research" on the topic, and fortunately I found a short video which showed a drawing taking shape. I tried to follow that method. In an intense hour, I looked and looked and looked - and shaded, shaded, shaded. Every change in one area needed adjustment across the entire item. I wanted to bring out the highlights and the areas of reflected light and make the drawing bold, but always felt it was already too bold!
Done - on a sketchbook page crinkled by a watercolour on the other side

An earlier version

I was sitting near a window as the sun sometimes went behind clouds. As the light changed, different types of shadow came and went, giving yet more aspects to pay attention to.

From Jackie - This was absorbing  and challenging especially since the paper kept blowing about on the garden table

From Sue B - my 2 hour sketch of crumpled paper using HB and 4B…a good exercise for really looking at shadows and angles!

From Judith - Yesterday painted the fabric then wondered about paper and squares. Not sure if it makes the drawing easier or not!



From Sue S -  my study of a crumpled napkin. Those stripes gave me quite a challenge! Perhaps a plain white would’ve been easier!! 

From  Carol - Much respect to those of you who have included text and pattern in your crumpled fabric/paper – I was not so brave but enjoyed the folds.

From Richard - Only found time for one quick pencil sketch today. So lucky that my sketches look better when photographed!

From Janet B - After my first two crumpled pieces kept moving in the wind and eventually blew away, I resorted to a pencil case paperweight. 

From Joyce -  I really enjoyed getting absorbed in such a simple(?) subject, nothing else to distract.

From Janet K - From the archives. A still life exercise at Morley College. Ah, the days when we went to painting and drawing classes.


From Hazel - Here's my drawing of crumpled paper using biro and watercolour. Some beautiful, reflected shadows and light. Very hard to capture the subtlety of it. Enjoyed trying though! 


From Ann - Crumpled fabric over a chair from a few weeks ago. An enjoyable theme!

From Gill - Made a study with a graphite stick then another with ink and a brush (after I finished eating the sponge fingers from this packaging)


No comments: