22 December 2020

Drawing Tuesday - "oldest utensil"

 First of all, what's a utensil? Dictionary definition: " a tool, container, or other article, especially for household use "

Second, what's "oldest"?? Maybe a shaped flint, or a simple stick, or humble pot, if we're thinking about the history of humanity and its tools. Or maybe the inherited wooden spoon that holds, through many years of use, the secrets of a mother's or grandmother's cooking. Or even any tool that is older than we are? Sometimes "oldest" is defined by the young company it keeps. How you feel about it might depend on whether you think "old" is good, or undesirable. 

Mystery object - is it a utensil?
PXL_20201213_133422529.jpg

(We thought it might be a tagliatelle cutter)



From Mags - A stick drawn with sticks using Knopper Oak Gall and Alder Buckthorn natural inks.



From Janet K - Only about 20 years old but treasured. Knife rack made by my Uncle Art. Only when seeing it in a photo did I realise how wonky the top edge looks!


From Carol - This is a homemade Tap Wrench made by my Father – in –law. It has been in my garage for 38 years and to my knowledge we have never needed to use it to cut any threads – I rest my case!


From Sue S - Here’s my aged utensil - dad used to make home-made wine & l inherited this corking machine.


From Janet B - I suspect this Black and Decker is older than me. I borrowed it from my father 40 years ago and never returned it. He would occasionally ask how it was and I would reassure him that I was looking after it and putting it to good use. 


From Gill - I don’t have any interesting old utensils as I’m not sentimental and often declutter as I don’t want to become a hoarder.
So I have tried to draw the cutlery my parents bought me over 35 years ago.


From Judith - Ah, didn’t check, remembered useful not oldest so am offering an extra pair of hands.


From Joyce - here’s a rug making tool from my grandmother. I think it’s the kind used for pulling pieces of fabric through a hessian backing since you can prod to make a hole first.


From me - The old knife sharpened (from Germany, 1930s or 40s) has become a strange creature, bug-eyed, hairbrush-shaped...


No comments: