24 September 2022

Checking in

 Mostly I've been posting my work and thoughts and photos of "the ordinary pleasures of life" on instagram, but it's not letting me access camera photos, just the ones already used in posts, how daft is that? 


So after a longish hiatus, it's back to the blog. A good place to accumulate posts of, eg, the geometry (ruler&compass, no measuring!) I've been doing lately, and the woodblock printing that will resume next week as a new term of classes starts, and other projects such as going to exhibitions and noticing things on walks.


This morning I pinned up my hair, which has been growing since before lockdown, to tame it a bit. Catching sight of myself in the hall mirror I thought "Zuni maiden with corn-flower hairdo" and whipped out the (phone) camera, which is always around my neck in its crossbody lanyard case, and snapped this*.

Hmm, not quite the Zuni maiden, and not a corn hairdo -

Squash blossom hairdo, Hopi maiden. "Adolescent Hopi girls wore their hair in the traditional squash-blossom hairstyle to signify their maturity and readiness for marriage" says the photo source.


*I have new glasses and am wearing a favourite scarf, found in Canada, purchased in duplicate as a "sisters present" (Sue, do you still have yours?). The oil painting of roses used to hang in Tony's kitchen. Lots of memories floating around! Including memories of reading about Pueblo life as a schoolchild, and later the crime/mystery novels of Tony Hillerman, set in the Southwest USA. 

2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oooo - nice to see you posting again - I've missed you. I really detest Instagram, only follow a few people there I can find nowhere else. I definitely prefer the blog format.

Unknown said...

I'm pleased to gather that you are being your usual creative self – in London and Cheltenham. I've rather missed your posts.

Amused by the hairstyle! I loved the Tony Hillerman series.

Sally xxx