17 October 2022

Woodblock prints: Whirling

 "Whirling" is based on some little stuffed figures I made years ago from the results of microwave dyeing of fabric, when the world of colour was new to me. They in turn are based on Korean costumes; fortunately I figured out how to give them "heads" -


Much drawing and colouring-in went on - I was trying to get a lot of colours by overlaying various basic colours -


... and much tracing and rubbing -



Finally some actual printing happened, but was not terribly successful - bad choice of colours!!

Some of the prints were mis-registered, and the (thin) board warped -


Lots of lessons learnt,  the main one being Keep It Simple! These prints were done before lockdown, and from this distance in time (three years?) I quite like the "minimal" ones and might try printing (or embossing?) the key block and adding just one or two colours -





1 comment:

irene macwilliam said...

no less fascinating a post now as when I read it some years ago.