08 March 2008

"Building a sketchbook"

Even though I missed the first two sessions of this course, the final Saturday was productive.

Techniques were transfer drawing, a form of monotype using a tracing and then inking the back and re-tracing, and printing from a polystyrene block. I made a quick decision and quick sketch based on a birch forest, and used it for several transfer drawings.This 5-foot long "walk in the woods" is made up of multiple prints of the polystyrene block. It works better turned on its lengthways, and might end up on calico with added bits of colourful fabric.
Here's my "diptych or triptych" distilled from the images and techniques taught: three block prints, on tracing paper; on tissue paper, with the white ink taking off some of the black ink underneath; and black ink on tissue paper, with (rather subtle!) stitching added.
And here's what I don't want to always be doing: making fussy messy things, however colourful!

1 comment:

The WestCountryBuddha said...

I found this idea fascinating. I particularly liked the long strip of pieces as a walk. I'm working on a similar theme at the moment and I was wondering if you would mind if I took the idea and played around with it to see if anything happened for me?? I would appreciate it as it has already sparked an idea!