22 April 2008

Quoting Thurber

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness." - James Thurber I'm surprised to see that Thurber said this. His subtle cartoons and blobby people are intriguing insights into the human condition, and his memories of working on The New Yorker magazine make good reading. Not to mention all his other writing, which I now have the urge to re-read.

You can read "The Night the Bed Fell" here.

In my search for some Thurber images, this art lexicon sight nearly distracted me: http://www.artlex.com/ -- here's a thurberesque illustration of contour lines:
The caption is: All right, have it your own way -- you heard a seal barking."

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Yay! Thurber. . . When I was 6 one of my favourite books was 'Further Fables for Our Time'. Odd reading for a child, but I was eccentric and loved his drawings.