24 February 2009

Drawing class, week 7

"Crating" consists of drawing a box in perpective, then placing an object in the box so it too will be in perspective. All was going well until I put the chimney on the house and instead of following instructions, had to think for myself.
Some notes on how to do it:
In the afternoon we put all the tables together in the middle of the room and presented our altered books - we had 4 minutes each, and were kept strictly to time, with bouts of mad applause ending each presentation.
Among the memorable ones were Goldfinger, which had about 100 pages painted gold on both sides, sometimes leaving words peeping out, sometimes with drawings on the gold, and between each page an insert of photocopies of "ladies" done on acetate - gorgeous!
The Seeds of Time became a "frozen moment" sitting on its plinth, slowly melting to reveal the book.
Another book was speared through by a pair of scissors; a magazine from 1851 got updated with 21st century images. Another was 'presented' as the finale of an enactment of a scene from Shakespeare.

I happened to be the last person to tell about my book -- did it in Chinese as planned, pulling the book from its black silk bag after taking rather a deep breath. (Later, the chinese-first-language person among our diverse group told me of a better word for the stamp made by the seal, a word that wasn't in the dictionary I used to put together my little talk.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Goodness, i do love
your postings.
thank you for sharing your course with us here.

oh, i'm so curious.
What IS the good name for the stamp made by the Seal ?

Margaret Cooter said...

Hi Nadine,
If I remember right, the seal is tuzhang (picture + seal). I called the stamp yinji (seal + record, mark), but it should be yinzhang (seal + seal). These are nuances that my dictionary doesn't provide! -m