07 February 2009

From the library

It's good to have regular, easy access to a library again. If a book is small it's more likely to come home with me. This book (with painting by Ivon Hitchens on the cover) of drawings, paintings and photographs from the Arts Council collection was published 20 years ago and has a useful essay, the artworks - many by artists not known to me - and many poems about landscape, again by unfamiliar poets and worth following up.

I keep coming back to Michael Fussell's Heavy Rain over a Marsh (1959) -
Winifred Nicholson's Cumberland Hills (1948) -
Andrew Walton's Garden at Night - Poles (1982) -
and Bill Brandt's Pilgrim's Way, Kent (1950) -

1 comment:

magsramsay said...

This is one of my favourite books! I was introduced to it on a painting course many years ago , bought a copy and it's accompanied me on many painting trips since as inspiration. The quote by Peter Lanyon on the inside cover says it all
" I do not start with the idea but with the experience"