06 February 2009

Drawing course, week 5

We were asked to bring in boxes. From these, a little city would arise... But first we had to get one box right. Measuring with pencils, and doing lots of rubbing out, we tried to get it right by lunchtime. After you'd struggled for a long time, someone else could look at it for a second and point out where it needed changing. (The easel is at an angle so the drawing looks very wrong!) Using our "perfect" box as a reference, we added more and more boxes...
It got less and less difficult, somehow -
At the end of the day we turned our easels round and looked at all the work -
There are so many of us, there needs to be a satellite group in another part of the room -
Lots of "pentimento" - showing lots of thought and work -
We are told that these rubbings out show the buyer of your drawings that you've done lots of work on it - makes it worth more. And we take this with a grain of salt.

3 comments:

The WestCountryBuddha said...

Gosh, I am enjoying your course with you. It's such hard work drawing boxes; getting all those vanishing points right and all the angles etc. I can't do it without extensive use of the pencil as a measure. For me, this kind of drawing is a real challenge; I feel as if I've been doing a 5 mile race and afterwards I'm totally drained! Very enjoyable too of course! What do you feel about the course - is it challenging for you and are you having fun?

margaret said...

Yes, it's exhausting. On the course, I'm looking to grapple with the things I would "naturally" avoid or shy away from, and I'm looking to surprise myself. So, yes, it's challenging - and I'm having fun! - m

margaret said...

Yes, it's exhausting. On the course, I'm looking to grapple with the things I would "naturally" avoid or shy away from, and I'm looking to surprise myself. So, yes, it's challenging - and I'm having fun! - m