22 September 2009

Sculpture week 1

Off to the British Museum to start filling our sculpture sketchbooks. Here's an "imagined interior" - this used to be the gallery, downstairs, chok-a-blok with greek vases - my mother was so amazed to see this, when she visited. But that was 15 years ago, and I'm not sure if this gallery is still open to the public.Plenty to draw elsewhere - I liked the "imagined interiors" of these figurines from Athens, 450 BC -
I'm trying to work bigger and bolder - the figurines on the left are maybe 5cm high in reality -
And I'm intrigured by these Corinthian helmets, about 500 BC -
Back at City Lit, we were shown various carving tools for stone and wood, and how to sharpen chisels -Next week we'll be carving - here are our blocks of clay, drying out a bit, hopefully to the leathery stage -

No comments: