13 April 2019

Studio Saturday - in the sewing studio (and elsewhere)

A commission to make a travel bag (Central line) has got as far as the handles and a bit of a dither over the lining fabric -

None of these were quite right for my "vision", but I've found something that feels right.  It will probably take an hour to finish, once I sit down at the sewing machine.

There's also this dress, which has been hanging around (literally) for about 4 years. It's been even longer than that since I put in a zip. Time for a refresher (via youtube etc) and some quiet time at the machine -
 The dress is now somewhat too large so my aim in finishing it is to be done with it and to get it off my back, and conscience - and onto Freecycle.

While searching high and low for my secateurs I discovered these pots carefully wrapped up in a drawer -
 Some are a bit chipped and might be faux-repaired with my slapdash version of kintsugi, which uses (real) gold leaf to highlight the broken edges -
One or two, the simply-stitched ones that got a bit slumpy in the kiln, are very much to my liking and might be the start of a series, or grouping. Ideas are knocking into each other and as soon as the weather gets warmer I'll be back in Studio 6, dipping and firing. Oh, and as soon as the series/grouping is stitched in fabric - there do seem to be a number of other things going on.... For instance, there never seems to be enough cuddle-time with the grandbaby -
and the gardens-over-the-hill needs a bit of TLC, but up close they're looking pretty good (imho) -



And there's my own little garden, with geum, tulips, forget-me-not, that grey plant that grows so well but whose name I've forgotten, the huge rosemary bush, and at the top of the steps, the pot with the luminous pelargonium and the euphorbia, which needs watering daily...






1 comment:

irene macwilliam said...

thought of you today... our speaker at our embroidery guild, Emily Noteman spoke of forming fabric and paper into shapes and then using them to form ceramics as one way she has worked. A great speaker who really does do mix media, with paper, ceramics,fabric, knitted wire to name a few. One of the best speakers I have heard in a long time as she really is a bit different with her materials.