24 April 2019

Woodblock Wednesday - more bokashi

Starting with a coloured background
 ... and adding the gradation -
Try again in a slightly different way, this time with a wide brush loaded on one side with water and on the other with paint -
 It's important to remember which side is which!

Trying "very" wet
 and not very wet...
 Too wet (on the right) gives a puddle of colour, rather than a layer -
 The result from the morning's effort -
The smooth gradation takes some practice, and I'm not "there" yet.

Useful information is online in David Bull's Encyclopedia of Woodblock Printmaking, on the "basics of bokashi" page and also in the compilation of exerpts from other books, ranging from a 1916 to a 1966 publication date.

One of these is Walter J Phillips's 1926 The Technique of the Colour Woodcut, available in its entirety online (here). Phillips (1884-1963) was born in England and moved to Canada in 1913. The Glenbow Museum in Calgary has an extensive collection of his work, and it was there, in the 1970s, that I discovered his work - and woodblock printing itself.

1 comment:

Mageleus said...

Beautiful pictures! I myself draw with the help of pencils like these https://wowpencils.com/sargent-art-colored-pencils-review/ which I have long liked. They help me to reveal my creativity :)