15 May 2010

This morning in the studio

Some days you don't get a lot actually done, but things move on... I'm amazed at how much "thinking time" is needed for the simplest things.

For instance, working on the boat shapes as vehicles for TravelWriting - the pre-marked papers found yesterday group themselves into a little flotilla -
Various combinations are possible, with and without the wave effect imparted by the TravelWriting lines -
On the pale "boats", which are made of tissue paper, adding acrylic wax gives a subtle sheen. But to use a wet medium successfully over inked lines, the lines have to be made with a waterproof pen. I've been using my fountain pen a lot and ... that ink definitely runs.

Biggest breakthrough today was getting past the "slice of cheese" perception of the wedge shape. With a bit of reflection on the difference between a wedge and a boat shape, and judicious application of a bone folder, I've been able to improve the shape considerably.

That ends my studio time till Tuesday. I'm off to the shop to get some waterproof pens, including some with broader tips. Then, I'll ride around and draw lines for a while -- papers have been prepared ....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What about suspending the flotilla from the ceiling so that the boats could travel with the movement of the air?
Joanne