29 May 2010

Yesterday in the studio

One series is ready to hang -It's mounted on foamcore, wrapped with cotton -
The 7" x 10" quilties are held on with some Velcro Instant Hem Fix - double-sided sticky tape for use with fabric - it's supposed to hold till it's washed. I haven't tried it before and hope it delivers its promise. (Might add a few stitches, just in case...)

Another project was to make some cards with contact details. Ordering business cards online would have been easier, but they wouldn't have arrived in time and the cheaper ones of course are single-sided, which didn't fit my "concept" - so I decided to photocopy some pages of the TravelWriting, print my details on the back, and cut them up into strips to make into "cards".

I was so excited by the first lot of photocopies, and my idea, that I forgot to print the details before cutting them up! But hey, they make cute little fish, don't they -
Here's what the real things look like before they get squished flat -
And I finally started the second Travel Blanket. The plan was to make four - and I have ideas for quite a few more - but time is running out. The two transparent ones are meant to go in a couple of the windows, and to be the same size as Tony's big pictures in some of the other windows.
This one is about sails and wind and the sparkling sea. It doesn't have a title yet (I do like to have a proper title at the outset - it helps the focus). The white lines are my guides for cutting it up and reconstructing - a slightly scary process - it might be a good idea to use some tear-away stabiliser on the thin material -
Then a few more sail-related things will get added - reefers (the dangly bits for tying up the sails) and some patches, maybe.

This is the companion piece, incorporating bits of porcelain -

1 comment:

jake said...

Great article! Thanks for sharing I added some thoughts on Travel blankets sometime ago