17 August 2010

Handknits -- to go

I didn't start the day intending to clear out that box in the back of the cupboard ... it was full of handknits I'd kept over the years. They date back to the mid-80s, some of them - those loose-fitting ones with large sleeves, remember that style?

Simple cables in DK - I didn't use a written pattern -- hence the not-quite-right neck! (This might become a cushion cover?)A leftover ball of silk-and-wool started this hat-that-becomes-a-scarf; I finally found another ball of the same yarn, to make it long enough. It would be very warm ... if you wanted to wear white (or to dye it) -
Next, a Kaffe Fassett pattern knitted during a sad time - having a new project perked me up, and gathering the wools was lots of fun. The knitting was more satisfying than the wearing -
Now I like the inside better than the outside -
One of the earliest - my own pattern (you can tell by the neck!) -
A Rowan pattern - and a good reason to check the gauge carefully - even in times of loose fit, this was too loose - hence the double-breasted detail.
I loved knitting all these, and even happily wore them, way back when - but not only has the fashion changed, so have I - we must all move on! If any of them calls out to you, let me know and I'll send it to you.

These mitts stay with me, though - at least till Christmas -

1 comment:

Fiona said...

I'd love one, can we do as we please with them? Kaffe Fassett or the pink one, so generous of you. I recently bought a 100% wool cardi at local charity sale and felted it, plan is to turn it into something else...