13 July 2011

Mission Control Central

In terms of "organisation", one of the most useful things I did was to gather files for two of my "projects" into these boxes - and label them.
They sit above the desk, and can almost be reached down in one simple movement of the left hand - were it not for the pressure of the leaning cookbooks etc.
Back to those file boxes though - the labels are important, in that they are a reminder to file everything that relates to them immediately. (CQ=Contemporary Quilt; ESE=European Science Editing, journal of EASE, the European Association of Science Editors). I had to check what was in the unmemorable unlabelled - and unused! - box - it is now a repository for the older leaflets from the overflowing "exhibitions" file.

It's interesting how taking a photo makes you see your accustomed environment afresh - don't we edit out a lot as we use the spaces every day! Obviously some of my books and papers need to be moved elsewhere - and are those folders full of pamphlets really necessary....

The basket behind the computer is right within my sight, constantly, but it's invisible because it's a hodgepodge of items that don't have places of their own. I do my best to ignore it...how much (unnoticed) mental energy is that act of ignoring actually using?

It will probably take all of 15 minutes to make a "home" for those bits and pieces; and having a proper place for them will probably be as thrilling as it was to put the labelled boxes on the shelf, in easy reach. That small bit of organisation has really made a difference to my efficiency (and peace of mind) ... now I can deal with CQ and ESE matters immediately - even if it's only putting bits of paper in one retrievable place to be dealt with later.

No comments: