24 November 2018

Studio Saturday - open studio prep

The week has been one of deep cleaning, much tidying, and rearrangements as we prepare for the Open Studio - which happens today, Saturday 24 November!
For the first day of the cleanup everything was taken off the shelves and moved into the centre of the room

 The kiln room got a thorough going-over  and sorting out -

I started to build my temporary shelving -
 he second day, things started to move away from the centre of the room, as if by magic -
 and it became possible to set up work in our spaces -
 I added quite a few fabric pots to the ceramic ones -
 and made sure the mirrored shelf was securely wedged -
 Others' work seemed less inconvenient to display -



 At the end of the day, things looked more or less ready -

 with a few quirky corners -

Here there be monsters!

(not really)
and a kiln room that's rapidly filling up with tools and furniture that needs to be kept out of the way -
It was a pleasure to see my pots in the window -
Next day, further cleaning of studio and refinement of arrangements. Arrival of ingredients for mulled wine and bags of nibbles. Decisions about pricing if work is for sale.

I gilded some more of the broken pots - but have no photos. Something that needs doing immediately on arrival at the studio this morning. I'd found other pots at home to bring to the studio, like this set of five tinies (max 2") -

In the quiet of the late afternoon, a chance take unhurried photos...

On the way home I toyed with the idea of making some books to be sold at under a fiver, and by 11pm a dozen dos-a-dos books were ready. They have an extra page of double-sided images cut from art magazines - finding these and cutting them carefully to size is what took the longest in the process. Time-wise, there's a lot of work gone into these -

Telephone directory as impromptu punching cradle
Final task for the morning would have been to print some business cards - but the printer has decided not to allow this.


2 comments:

Cate Rose said...

As your Saturday is over now, I hope you sold a lot of your precious vessels! Happy Holidays! xx

patty a. said...

The space looked wonderful! I hope all the artists were able to sell. I know if I had been there I would have bought some! I love handmade pottery.