11 March 2019

More fabric removal

With the red and green drawers waiting, I turned instead to a couple of upper drawers that probably wouldn't yield much fabric to send to the Bring & Buy, so this would be quick, yes?

Nooooo - there were many treasures to stroke and appreciate - and iron. The ironing board is my new best friend. 

In the "Silks" drawer were these -
 and some old silks from China -
 Those cloud patterns are great -
The back -
 The fabric has a stiff weft, and this is what it looks like when crumpled -
 What was it used for, in its day?

Backs and fronts of a couple more old pieces -
This sample of (modern) painted silk was impossible to photograph, but is gorgeous. I'm tempted to stretch it over a small canvas -
 These old silks have lovely selvedges and borders -
The silk drawer is ready to go back in place - it was lovely to dig round in it -
Another drawer had mostly papers (a job for another day) - and this -
 which had several of these on the other side -
 Was tension the reason it went no further? Or did I realise it wasn't such a good idea...

These fused plastic pieces are at least 15 years old ... what to do with them ... (any takers?) -
I couldn't resist doing just one more "easy" drawer, but this one proved more difficult. It had a lot of textiles with family resonances, including a bit of a blue and white printed linen tablecloth that I found in my mother's cleaning-rags box - it dates back to my early childhood and must have come with us from Germany.
And this dishrag the my mother not only knit but mended in three places; she was a frugal woman, making and mending, generous with her time and care -
 A gift from an American friend -
The impersonal handmades are also difficult to let go of - I value the skill and labour that went into making them, and hope they weren't produced under gruelling conditions -
 At the end of the morning, a little more has been bundled and bagged -

1 comment:

patty a. said...

You are still making wonderful progress. The silks are so beautiful; I am sure they will be snapped up quickly! I worked at a shop that make custom clothes for people who show Western horses for a year. The shop made pants, jackets, vests, chaps, and fancy blouses. We used polyester gaberdine twill, lamb leather, cow leather, Ultrasuede and silk. We kept the scraps in case we needed them for a repair or alteration so after a while the scrap bins were overflowing. We cleaned the place out and I ended up bring home a lot of silk, Ultrasuede, and lamb leather scraps. This was 16+ years ago and every once in awhile I dig into those scraps. Since I have an entire bedroom dedicated to fabric storage, I have room for them.