06 March 2019

Woodblock Wednesday - much to think about

Two highlights from the slide show of recent woodblock printers were Robert Kushner (reminds me of textile collage?) and Yasu Shibata (geometrical simplicity); other names to investigate are Karen Kunc, who I'd thought of only in terms of book structures, rather than printmaking), Reika Iwami, Katsutoshi Yuasa, Tetsuya Noda. I didn't know Richard Diebnkorn had woodblock printing among his working methods. And Shiko Munakata is always worth another look.

When it came time to get to work, I had lost focus on good practice, with blobby and blurry results...
Using a mask 
 ... and not much output....
Just the one block got used, adding to previous prints
Exactly a year ago, the "Rediscover this day" feature of Google photos informs me, I was using that same block -
...along with others I'd almost forgotten about. It's interesting to think about why some blocks seem like a good idea, and then don't work out as planned. And it's interesting to combine disparate blocks to see what happens...and where that leads...

(I was also sorting out and packing up small quilts a year ago - but that's another story...)

No comments: