07 April 2020

Drawing Tuesday - chairs

The room with the sunlight contains eight chairs and a sofa and a footstool, and seven tables of all sizes (and a trunk and a desk). Only two of the chairs are red leather tub chairs - I approached them from different angles.
Quick blind drawing with inktense pencil

Getting solid areas and tones with waterbrush

Intensifying the colour

Six tables and four chairs in this frame (two tables hidden)

From NajlaaI drew this in 7/9/19 from my daily draw notebook. I just repeated today.

From Carol:  Not very highbrow but more difficult than I thought. I had not realised that highchairs were so complicated. Also first attempt at drawing little Charlie, not great but a start.


From Sue: Here’s my sewing chair - bought in Upper St. years ago.


From Janet B:The office chair (Andrew’s Walthamstow c1998) was my warm up. I’ll be sitting on it this afternoon when I get on with some dressmaking.

My museum piece is from the V&A new furniture exhibition 1901.

Eventually I must get round to sorting out all my chair drawings into a separate album. When I looked for photos of chairs in museums there were quite a few I had drawn.


From Janet K:I drew a dining room chair - I am sure it took me more than 2 hours yesterday afternoon. Used Van Gogh's chair as a reference.




From Judith: Nice shapes from the Design Museum Denmark and some fun Art Nouveau chairs


From Joyce: Here is my sewing chair, tucked away in the corner when not in use in the dining room.

From Mags: Inspired by the drawing I did at the V&A in 2017 of ' Soft Little Heavy ' by Ron Arad
I attempted a biro continuous drawing of Erica the Excercise Bike ( which I use every day ) The seat isn't too bad but you know when the more you draw ,the worse it gets......

From Jo: Someone gave the folding chair to my father. He admired the design, but I don't think he ever used it: it weighs a ton!
Child's high chair (mine). Arms & footrest long gone.