21 April 2020

Drawing Tuesday - view from a window


Having taken, from my window, lots of photos of people outside Tesco, across the road, thinking to combine their poses into "something", I had a different idea, in which a poem on my blog (2014) meets a page of an older sketchbook (2016).

"Of the Surface of Things" by Wallace Stevens 

I
In my room, the world is beyond my understanding,
But when I walk, I see that it consists of three or four hills and a cloud.

After Etel Adnan
So I set out to capture Stevens' image with Adnan's simplicity. And got bogged down in varying the composition - "a cloud and three or four hills" is not a lot of elements to be imaginative with.
The most Adnan-like scene is at the bottom of the page, when I switched to coloured pencils, as in my earlier drawings -

Others stuck to the brief - by far the best policy!

From Janet B:  Way, way out of my comfort zone but good mental exercise.

From Janet K:  This is the view from my work bench.


From Carol:  Just before lockdown we were charged with sourcing the roses to refresh the memorial bed at church with a view to having a planting thanksgiving service to follow. All named roses and really difficult to find. Needless to say all is closed down and cancelled and we are now left with the job of trying to keep them healthy in pots throughout the summer.


From Najlaa:  The lovely trees at the back of my house brings lots of birds daily. I saw magpies, robins, monk parakeet and squirrels chasing some birds.



From Sue:  Good to have sunny weather and good light to work with.
Here are our views from the house - Rich decided to join in today!
Richard

Sue

From Judith:  Nearly finished then the sun came out and view looked much better but too late!

Joyce's view is from her landing window -

From Mags:  Not really suitable paper for watercolour but fun to do. Most of my window paintings have been from the train so makes a change.


From Jo, views from upstairs -
Dip-in pen, india ink, + bit of brush+water

Fine-liner pen + water soluble crayons
"The house opposite from upstairs. Right - Tresco pine planted
 too near the house. Left - eucalyptus ditto!

Back garden - Water soluble pencils, candle wax on paper
 behind magnolia tree (mid-right) and neon yellow fine pen
A north London view from guest artist Gill: It’s done using pen and ink.



Seeing all these, I sat at my studio table-under-the-window and looked and drew as the light faded, continuing until the many greens became indistinguishable -


No comments: