14 July 2020

Drawing Tuesday - bridges

First thing in the morning I was grappling with clearing some space on my phone - trying to get rid of photos - and came across a view in the science museum which showed a bridge I'd never noticed before. Is it actually usable? Would one dare, that's a big space below! A quick sketch in my little notebook.

And then I came across some screenshots from a BBC programme on the Jodrell Bank radio telescope, all scaffolding and interconnections, yumm! It looked very confusing to draw, though, so I looked online and found a simple version of the bare bones of the telescope's structure (1957), and downloaded and printed that. Then out with the carbon paper and on with some Outright Cheating. It was hard enough, during the Cheating, to choose what to include, and not to lose important bits - I learned a lot! This is a "Bridge to the Sky" - or rather, to outer space. Not only has the telescope been finished, but it's been upgraded since and looks like a proper modern telescope now.

From Carol  This is my favourite Lego model now residing at my daughter’s house but may come back to me shortly due to little hands now being able to reach it. The challenge – remembering to make it look like Lego and not just a model. Drawn mainly from a picture (with a little tracing as the perspective was blowing my mind!).

From Janet KBrooklyn Bridge - with a bit of colour. Taken from a B&W photo.

From Judith Thames on a greyish day! Paper from an old stash of oddments. I thought it was watercolour paper but it was more like blotting paper.

From  Sue B - a watercolour sketch of Pulteney Bridge in Bath which I did from a ‘photo last May...No time this week for a new bridge!

From Janet B -  rather hurried sketch of a few Newcastle bridges. No time to add Newcastle!

From Joyce - The artist Samuel Palmer lived in Shoreham, Kent, for 8 years and lived in Water House overlooking the river Darent. He sketched a bridge he could see from the house known originally as Longebregge and which dated back to the thirteenth century.
I have made a study of his sketch and then made my own sketch from when we walked from Otford to Shoreham on Sunday. (How lucky was the choice of subject for today!)
The bridge has been repaired and remodelled since but still retains the basic design of a medieval packhorse bridge. 
Both on brown paper with gouache, pen and ink.


From Mags - After watching ' The Hidden Wilds of the Motorway' and feeling nostalgic for Rainham Marshes and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge, I played with some copies of photos I took from the train for my EDAM 'Javelin Journeys' piece.
Question is, which variation gets stuck down in my (new! ) sketchbook ??




From Ann - I started to draw a local bridge which is under threat ...it leads into the Grove Allypally.  Unfinished at the moment as we are enjoying seeing our son and grandson who are staying for a few days. I will finish in watercolour and ink. [see end of post for the outcome]

The portrait is a drawing from last week's Royal drawing school session and I think describes the feeling of worry experienced by many. Relates to a 'troubled waters' interpretation.


From Najlaa - "Rhine bridge"

From Hazel - I have drawn an imaginary bridge that may be found amongst the sweet peas. Hope you can spot the little critter that uses it.

From Sue S - done in pastel on dark red card. The Peace Bridge in Calgary by Santiago Calatrava

From Helen - Here’s my contribution to this week’s topic - an illustrated haiku.  A subject close to my heart!

From Gill - I looked on line for interesting bridges and saw so many spectacular newly built ones. However , I chose this old moon bridge as I thought it was simply lovely.

From Jo -  collage - green envelope and newsprint.

Addendum - Ann's finished Grove Bridge -

No comments: