07 July 2020

Drawing Tuesday - shelfies

Which shelf? I have so many to choose from, starting with dozens of bookshelves (boring) and including built-in and free-standing shelves. This one, a hanging shelf, has been in my possession since 1971, bought at auction in Durham -
Getting started was taking its own time, so I did a little warmup of the current drama that's playing itself out on the table (a story for the inner child) -
 And then off we went, starting with pencil and eraser and adding watercolour in a slow, pernickity, and kack-handed way -
Watercolour needs practice, and it needs knowing a few tricks. I'm still at the childish stage.


From Carol - Considering how much time I look at this wall unit (because the telly is on part of it) I was surprised at how ‘treasure blind’ I had got to the little things in it – all things I once held dear. Lovely task to do today.

From Sue S - Here’s my Work room window ledge of green bottles & glass pendants - done in pastel to force a looser technique!

From Richard - Shedshelfie. Pencil with a little caran d’ache. It could bear another couple of hours to bring out the light contrast better. 

From Sue B - What a great exercise!

From Judith - a watercolour. The background when I last zoomed with my young grandaughters. Enjoyed doing the toys!

From Ann - Here is my shelfie...a home -made dinosaur standing on a pile of books by a stone African lion...on a shelf in my grandson Leo's room. Happy memories of painting and making with him. 

From Joyce - Here is my shelfie, treasures from family trips etc.; vase from Gozo, sand picture in a glass paperweight from America, Japanese pot, picture made from butterfly wings from my husband’s grandmother (wouldn’t be made now) and a Fimo model made by my daughter 40 years ago. Brought back happy memories

From Mags -  It wouldn't be a 'shelfie' without books so brought up to my studio a selection of ones that have been a big influence and some I wrote to add to the basket shelf. The baskets on the left all have an orchid work connection : the tall Indonesian one was part of a display at World Orchid Conference in Glasgow 1993 and after admiring it , I was thrilled to be given it. The small 'pot' woven from pine needles was acquired in Mexico in 1997 when teaching an orchid propagation course. The Rwandan lidded one came from Writhlington School premiere screening of ' Plants Behaving Badly' which I was involved with as well as students from the school.

From Gill - I set myself the task of keeping the pencil moving along the paper without lifting it off. The dining room shelves drawing was done late at night and my nail varnishes on my bedroom mantelpiece drawing was done in the morning. The colours are the actual varnishes. These bottles remind me of my former social life a 100 days ago.
P.S. my new social life is drawing with you lot! Thank you for sharing.




From Janet K - Treasures on a shelf.

From Jackie - recipe books with hand sculpture and clock and ceramics(top shelf). Watercolour and pen

From Najlaa - This is my shelfie  from my oldest daughter's room where I stitch, sew and draw.

From Janet B - Haphazard books, a tardis and three cat teapots.

From Sylvia a bathroom shelfie

No comments: