23 July 2020

Poetry Thursday - spotted in transit


I am the Song

I am the song that sings the bird.
I am the leaf that grows the land.
I am the tide that moves the moon.
I am the stream that halts the sand.
I am the cloud that drives the storm.
I am the earth that lights the sun.
I am the fire that strikes the stone.
I am the clay that shapes the hand.
I am the word that speaks the man.

- Charles Causley  (1917-2003)


Seeing this poem lifted my mood during my first journey on public transport since lockdown, my only journey (so far) since 23 March.

Mention of another poem by Causley, the much-anthologised Timothy Winters, appears in a Poetry Thursday post about The Knee by Christian Morgenstern.

On this site, Causley reads several of his poems, including The Ballad of the Bread Man, a poem not just for Christmas.

No comments: