25 July 2020

Studio Saturday - towards a bespoke shirt

For quite a few years now I've been promising to make a shirt to fit my tall thin son, who can never find sleeves long enough. And finally it's happened, meant to be a surprise for his birthday. No chance of fittings during the process...

First step was to search shelves and elsewhere for my copy of this comprehensive book, published in 1993; it had wandered away from the Sewing shelf.

Over a leisurely two days, I made a pattern from his wedding shirt, which seemed to fit him well. This involved checking and rechecking the white shirt and the cross-and-dot paper pattern pieces.

The fabric is a strange sort of stretchy denim, quite heavy, so I looked for some lighter fabric to line the collar, collar stand, yoke, and cuffs. A happy byproduct of the search was the chance to sort out several more fabric drawers, and even allocate some fabric to the charity shop (sorted into ziploc bags and labelled "craft fabric")
 Which to choose? I slept on the decision...
Would he actually like any of these?

Fabrics from South Africa, Australia, Japan
I chose the Aboriginal design and started sewing, adding seam allowances of different widths as set out in the book.


A plan!
 Fussy-cutting for the patterned fabric
Following the grain lines -

Space near the sewing machine was a bit constrained, as the little kitchen hasn't yet left my studio, the carpenter has had other things on his mind -

I like how the hidden bit of the yoke turned out
 The cuffs will be fun too -

Before and after, or rather, model and sample
Practising making the placket - great fun -

For the birthday, this is what got packaged up -

Unfortunately the cuffs were a bit small and a new pair is being attached.

Even more unfortunately the fit of the back has inexplicable wrinkles parallel to the sleeve seam. But the shirt sort of works as a jacket over a teeshirt.

Next version will be in shirting-weight fabric and will be fitted to the body at each stage!

1 comment:

patty a. said...

That is a great book that details shirtmaking! Your shirt turned out great. I like how you used the Australian fabric - hidden, but so fun for the wearer! How nice your son will now have custom shirts! Years and years ago my now former SIL was having a hard time affording pants to fit. She was 4' 10" and wore a size 2 or 4 - I can't remember. She bought one pair of pants that fit perfect, but they were really expensive. I altered a pattern using those pants as a guide and whipped out the first pair. They were just a little long in the crotch, so after adjusting that I could make pants without her trying them on. I worked at a department store that also sold fabric. I only needed a yard and a quarter to make her a pair of pants since the fabric was wide. Let's just say she had pants in every color of the rainbow!