03 December 2010

Textile printing again

When I found this tablecloth in a charity shop last week, I only allowed myself to buy it because I'd be using it for printing this week.
It has quite a few laundry marks, and was extremely worn in places - worn right through in one or two! - and had some stains. Never mind, it made a great big expanse, and I got a nice big screen to use on it, with a newish variant of the "TravelWriting" -
As you can see, almost immediately the screen slipped and produced a double image. Not to worry; later I printed over it with delicate black loops and swirls - and once it's cut up into manageable pieces, some might get dyed or dye-painted.

There's still a lot of experimentation going on - here are a couple more things that didn't work particularly well: the disjunction of the black and red (some overlap might have been better) and the delicate print on the strong background - perhaps red print would have been better -
Three fabrics printed with one screen -
Finally, using paper to mask the already-printed portion, then overlapping the screen to fill in -
I'm hoping to try a different but related screen next week, and add more to some of these prints.

No comments: