04 December 2018

Drawing Tuesday - National Portrait Gallery

Love the mosaics at the entrance to the NPG, and there are more inside as well -


Wandering to a distant room, I found this grouping of portrait busts, most sculpted by Chantrey (1781-1841) -
Quite daunting in detail, and it was the light and shadow that drew me to them - so I took off my glasses and blind(ly) drew what I could see -
With glasses back on, things looked quite different. I'm in the bad habit of starting with the most interesting thing, in this case the nose on the right -
Gradually the group came together. I'd bitten off more than I could chew with these, could and maybe should try again - but do not want to revisit them!
 Others had more interesting work.
Jo did her work on the s-l-o-w bus into town

Michelle's unknown lady

Najlaa took a deep breath and tackled "faces" (Mary Ann Clarke,
mistress of Frederick Duke of York) - then
relaxed with some pattern
 
Sue captured Edith Sitwell and Harold Moody

Edward William Lane, Arabic scholar, by Joyce

Janet K found two Edwards - the Black Prince was, appropriately, cast in
black metal and drawn on dark paper

Carol found a vista, and flocked wallpaper

Edward William Lane again, by Janet B, and also Joseph Collet
 Extra-curricular activities
Najlaa's quilted fabric face

Joyce's pattern stamping, inspired by a piece in the Anni Albers exhbition

Janet B's machine embroidery, and a soap carving based on a bird in her sketchbook

Michelle has gone seasonally glitzy

No comments: