15 December 2018

Studio Saturday

This week seems to have started a ramp-down in the studio, partly because of the seasonal festivities and preparations required elsewhere. partly because I'm having a mokuhanga moment (more on that another time), and partly because it's cold - so I've at least produced some simple fabric shapes and will dip them later -
The kiln is ready for a test firing - cones are set up on each layer to check the temperature. It would be good to have some actual pots in there!
Thanks, Jackie, for helping with all this. The controller still frightens me rather....
In a needle-felting mini-workshop I tried out the idea of using the felting as a way of joining the base fabric into a circle. It does feel lovely, especially with the different texture inside, and may or may not get dipped -
Next steps: more sinamay constructions; add metal detailing; dip and dry; fire. I'm looking forward to ramping-up the process in 2019, even in the cold. (Also, I miss the social side of the studio.)

No comments: