08 February 2019

Making a book

Last week I missed the first class in the three-evening course at Morley, but did my homework and cut some simple stamps from erasers, having decided that those already on hand were too fussy -
The task for this class was to print a page for each other person to incorporate in their book. I tried out a layers-of-colour idea, and decided it would take too long; it involved about 20 stampings on each of six pages...
 ... so I cut a larger eraser into wavy shapes in order to work faster -

 Butting up the papers allowed tops and bottoms to be printed at the same time -
Each page varied subtly  in its colours, thanks to a bit of overprinting with colours available in the stamp pads. As for the white space - perhaps there could have been more of that?

Then it was time for swapping, and for putting our pages into a sequence -
 ... and making covers. And gluing the pages into a concertina ... and gluing the concertina between the covers.

Everyone made a variety of pages with the stamps they'd carved, which led to a linked set of individual books -
 Finished!  on time! -


2 comments:

irene macwilliam said...

I love reading about the classes you attend Margaret. Interesting ideas the various tutors have often gives me lots to think about.

patty a. said...

Cute book! I like your stamped piece as the cover. I found the book "the Art of the Fold" at the library. I just picked it up and have not had time to dive into it yet.