10 July 2006

Found object, and dilemma

The object falls into the "whatever was I thinking" category -- and dates back about 10 years. It emerged from one of the many bags that were stuffed under the beds in a big tidy-up months and months ago, before my big trip. I haven't accessed any of the stuff under the beds since then, and hope this will make it easier to get rid of it when it comes to the big cleanup?

What sort of "moving on" does this need? Should past-their-sell-by-date things like this go straight into the bin? Or are they a nothing-to-lose chance for being really wild -- doing something unexpected?

My first (and rather habitual) thought was to make it into a (useful) bag - hey, it only needs another dozen or so hours of handstitching, as well as the actual construction, and lining (with pockets of course) and then there's the challenge of handles ....

My second thought was that this was made 10 years *AGO* and my life would be none the poorer if it had not re-emerged.

But we all carry the voices from the past and mine are loudly saying that Nothing Should Be Wasted. If I listen to them, nothing will ever get thrown on and moving on will be impossible!

2 comments:

Anne Wigfull said...

Margaret, maybe old UFO's should be passed on to someone with a completely different approach and see what they can do with it. If it's eventually binned at least it won't be your bin being filled. It's a good test, if you can let it go to someone else then it no linger 'holds' you.

artmixter said...

I'm with Anne...send it to me... either that or cut it into strips and recombine somehow...perhaps with other cloth...you know you want to...