14 January 2010

Sculpture, week 2

Making models - with foamboard and paper. I used an "old" piece of foamcore, with circles already cut out, rather than start a fresh one - and the lines that were already on it made for a more interesting "inside" -Lots of fun -- but where's it going? I made some foamcore models of stairs, too...
but preferred the little houses ("safe as houses") ... only to be told (gently) by the tutor that "a lot of people did houses and sheds - and boats - in the 80s". OK, I get the hint!
He preferred my "corners" and mentioned that the "kind of charge" that was put on them was important - ie, where is the energy coming from, negative or positive - or both? I need to rein in and clarify what's being ... [word missing in my notes]. And define the scale. Give viewers access to the idea - if they're confused, they won't be interested. He suggested focussing on one specific door or wall or whatever, and working from that; giving viewers a set of clues, but leaving just what's necessary. Clarify what it's being set up for - and starting with something that you know.

"Time to take control" it says in my book, summing up nearly an hour of discussion.

So ... here's an abstraction of a door - embodying "gaps, tension, door ajar, light" -
But it's supposed to be about specificity - so as a first step I went to look at some doors around the building -
This view is rather reminiscent of "one I prepared earlier" - in February 2009, to be exact -
"Being an illusionist" was also among the notes.

1 comment:

RHONDA said...

I like your "abstraction of a door". It looks as though there is light coming from wherever the door is leading to. It makes me want to see what is behind the door, or at least consider the possibilities of what could be causing the light...